Thursday, January 28, 2010

New service available!

Did you know that we now offer mail-in knife sharpening?


Check it out
.

I think this is a neat and unique service to offer people. It's not always easy to find someone who knows how to sharpen a knife properly.

Oh ho, you say, but you can go to Kroger and get your knives sharpened. And to that I say oh ho back, because what we do is a very different sort of thing. We have a video, so you can see how Carl does things. Not only does he grind the edge, he also polishes and hones it. All done by hand on machines designed by my grandfather.


Recently, my husband and I have had to move back in with my parents. Needless to say, this has called for some adjustment on everyone's part. One of the arrangements we've made is that I cook dinner on Wednesdays, and other days as needed. What I've discovered from doing all this cooking, is that my parents haven't had their knives sharpened... ever. So I'm bringing them in with me, a few at a time, the worst ones first. The worst one was a wood handled stamped chef's knife. This poor knife has been mistreated and neglected. The tip had been broken off, the blade had some nicks in it, and I've seen butter knives that were just as sharp. Carl's official verdict: "Well, I've seen worse." american hosta society

So next week I'll be bringing home a couple of nice sharp knives. And, with care, they'll stay that way for a few years. Or, realistically, until next spring when my mom has to split her hostas.

More about this coming soon, keep an eye on this spot!

No comments: