Thursday, July 29, 2010

Strange things abound

You know, this cutlery store actually has some strange things tucked away.

Did you know that we sell magnifiers? We get a lot of people with macular degeneration referred to us because there aren't a lot of places in town that carry them. We also have things like the Optivisor that are good for hobbyists to use, even if it makes them look a bit like a refugee from a low budget sci-fi movie.


You may remember our clearance section from Ye Olde Website of ages past. Lots of strange things in there, a lot of them because in my great-grandfather's day the cutlery was also a hardware store. We still have bits of leftover stock tucked away. Dremel tool accessories, glass bubbles for levels, and a lot of screws and nuts. (Which reminds me, you'll let me know if you ever need any of those old iron stove/carriage bolts, won't you?)  

Another relic, from the days when we manufactured scissors, is the barrel of scissor blanks. For our 135th anniversary, Carl and Glenna put in extra hours to hand-finish (sharpen, polish, paint) around 50 pairs. They ended up looking a lot like the traditional Wiss sewing/household scissors.

We have six different oyster knives in stock in the store. From one (one!) company. Did you even know they made that many different types of oyster knives? I admit that I did. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I noticed it while I was arranging things in a display case today.

We also sell a knife for cutting whole wheels of cheese. It's a Wushof and it never fails to get comments from new customers.

Nose and ear scissors. Essential, but on some level, hilarious. That doesn't mean I won't still get my husband one, just that I'm not cruel enough to do it for his birthday.

Silhouette scissors. Scissors that were designed to cut itty figures out of black paper. As you'd imagine, they're still great for any sort of highly detailed work, but you'd think they'd change the name.

We sell a lot of lightbulbs. Apparently it is difficult to find replacement bulbs for those Floxite light up mirrors.

Now, I don't have some great point to make. Just that we're a small family business that's accumulated a lot over the years. We have some fun stuff that's not entirely what you'd expect. 
And that's what I like about us.

No comments: