Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-changes

If you've been in the store lately, you'll have noticed that we have rearranged and improved our displays on the front side of the building. The manicure sets have been moved into the case by the front door,

Not only have we rearranged that whole area, we also have some new products!
I've told you about the bags, etc. that we are featuring from John Hart Design, but I have sadly neglected Caswell-Massey's shaving "stuff." What do I mean by stuff? I mean shaving soaps and travelling cases, badger shaving brushes, preshave oil and aftershave balm, and some wonderful smelling soaps.

display case, full of shaving things
Who is Caswell-Massey?
Originating in 1752, Caswell-Massey is believed to be the fourth-oldest company in America. They use age-old methods in producing fine soaps, lotions, fragrances and other personal care items. Caswell-Massey products were chosen to reside in the White House by three different presidents: Washington, Eisenhower, and Kennedy (and we know which ones are which).

shave soap in wooden bowl
Caswell-Massey was also recently featured in the August/September issue of Modern Bride, in a section on attendants' gifts.(p. 140) According to the text, they're featuring the almond shave soap, brush and stand. However, looking at the picture, they are also featuring a refillable wooden bowl, which is part of what makes this gift elegant and nice.

But are they any good?
Well, Carl said he enjoys using the shave soap, but his favorite product to use is the after-shave balm. I have a lot of guy friends, so that's definitely going on my list for holiday shopping. shaving soap medley
While I can't personally vouch for the quality of the soap in terms of using it on one's face, I am very opinionated about scents.

To be honest, I'm torn. When it comes to the almond soaps, I think I prefer the scent of our Col. Ichabod Conk over the Caswell-Massey. Colonel Conk soaps are more highly scented, which have a vintage appeal (particularly the Bay Rum, yum!). I think the stronger scent particularly lends itself to the almond scent.

On the other hand, the Caswell-Massey soap is packaged far more attractively for a gift. Luckily for me, other soaps come in the wooden bowl gift set: Greenbriar and Sandalwood. I love the scent of sandalwood, so that solves the dilemma for me. I'm thinking about having my affianced get that for one of his groomsmen. The other two are haphazard about shaving at best, though they might appreciate the after-shave balm.

Generally, all the Caswell-Massey products have a nice scent. They are more complex and lighter than the Col. Conk soaps we carry, rounding out the selection of products we offer. Even though the recipes for some of these soaps has remained virtually unchanged for decades (if not two centuries), they still have a classic feel that will appeal to modern users of any age.

Ultimately, you, dear reader, will have to decide what you like best.

No comments: