Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I think that I shall never see...

Poetry time!

I don't know if you are familiar with Knife World magazine, or not. Each month, Knife World offers a wide variety of information about knives, knife books, and more. You'll learn about knifemakers, knife companies, knife values, knife history, and read stories of interest to all knife enthusiasts.
The summer I worked full-time at the store, I kept sneaking peeks at Knife World, because it's just that interesting.

It also has lighthearted features, personal essays and the occasional poem.
Here's an excerpt from Carl's favorite poem, that he asked me to post.


"I never met a knife that didn't like me"
by Don Evans

The most precious give, I've received in my life,
was a brand spanking-new, pocketknife.
With celluloid handles, and blades that would fold,
that my Dad gave to me, when I was seven years old.
It created a passion, from which I'll never be free,
and never have I met a knife, that didn't like me.

There's nothing in this world, you can give a boy,
that he can show his friends, with pride and joy.
As most of my friends, had pocketknives,
now I had one too, like the other guys.
And as I slipped it into my pocket, very lovingly,
I knew I'd never meet a knife, that didn't like me.

I still have that knife, along with hundreds more,
that hid in the attic, and behind every door.
Some knives I guy, have a certain appeal,
or I buy a whole box-full, 'cause I get a good deal.
And sometimes I just buy them, out of curiousity,
just to see if I've met a knife, that doesn't like me.

...
There are pictures of knives, that hang on the walls,
in the living room, kitchen, and down the halls.
Therea re pictures on the cieling, over my bed,
some folks like mirrors, I like knife pictures instead.
And though they are surrounding me, constantly,
I've still never met a knife, that didn't like me.

I've got dozens of knife books, I use in research,
I always take one to read, when I go to church.
But the preacher spotted it, and took one look,
now he's preachin' sermons, from outta that book.
And he's collecting, knives from A to Z,
Now he'll never meet a knife, that doesn't like he.

Then I met this gal, her name was Sue,
the perfect companion, she liked knives too.
For an engagement gift, she gave me a knife,
so there wasn't much choice, I made her my wife.
And as we walked down the aisle, we knew happily,
that we'd never met a knife, that didn't like we.

We'll jump in the camper, and drive hundreds of miles,
just so we can walk, up and down those aisles.
We walk for miles, legs getting unstable,
'cause that rare knife may be lying, on the very next table.
And when I find it, the right one it'll be,
'cause I never met a knife, that didn't like me.

...

(Originally published in Knife World magazine, March 1999, p. 33. Excerpted for copyright reasons, and the fact that it's really really long. You would be scrolling forever)

No comments: